What are MOOCs?
The Office of the Vice Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education oversees academic and policy matters related to design, development and delivery of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) supported by the institution. An advisory committee has been established to guide the office in development of Open UToronto principles and practice and to provide strategic advice and guidelines regarding online and open access resources and courses.
As noted in the Open Course Initiative Fund documentation, the overarching the goals of the institution are as follows:
- Contribute to education community and broader public by sharing curriculum
- Explore a range of pedagogical approaches and open course platforms
- Leverage use of MOOC materials through integration into UofT degree program courses
- Showcase the University of Toronto’s capacity as a leading institution for teaching, learning and research
Director – Online Learning Strategies provides support in the area of faculty development related to MOOC initiatives; consults on resourcing, team-based planning and design; coordinates institutional research and evaluation activities; and acts as liaison with the Office of the Vice-Provost Academic Programs as required.
Director – Academic and Collaborative Technologies provides support in the area of Open UToronto initiatives broadly, identifies institutional strategies and processes related to resourcing and infrastructure integration, and enables access to relevant information, resources, services across the institution.
Please contact email@example.com for information or consultation.
Approvals and Funding
MOOC Initiative Activity Report 2016 – Infographic
The 2016 report takes the form of an infographic, which covers an aggregate of our MOOC activity in our live courses currently running in a self-paced mode in both Coursera and edX. Outreach data represents reach from the last five years of activity. This infographic is organized into four main sections, each of which focuses on an important dimension of our work in this domain:
- Design and Pedagogy
- Community Engagemen
- Demographic Reach
- MOOC Research and Outreach
Under the broader Open UToronto umbrella, we have continued to leverage partnerships with both Coursera and EdX, responding to the interests and needs of our community and the evolving MOOC landscape.
MOOC Report Archives
- Open UToronto MOOC Initiative: Report on Fourth Year of Activity (October 2016)
- Open UToronto MOOC Initiative: Report on Third Year of Activity (October 2015)
- Open UToronto MOOC Initiative: Report on Second Year of Activity (September 2014)
- Open UToronto MOOC Initiative: Report on First Year of Activity (August 2013)